Announcing Guru v2.0 (April 2021)
Guru Version 1.x is deployed across a number of third level institutions and is processing thousands of examinations annually. It is stable, fast, secure, relatively bug free and well… it works! However, it’s 8 years old at this stage and in software terms that’s pushing on a bit!
In team meetings over the past year, we had discussions regarding upgrading Guru by modernising the front-end interface combined with increasing the version of the backend. Weighing up the pros and cons, we decided to make an entire new implementation - Guru V2.0.
Having worked in the university system for 20 years now, I’ve seen the effects of continuous patching of legacy systems. The end product is an increasingly poor end-user experience which does not respond well to new device and UI innovations. Uncontrollable behemoths which companies are afraid to rewrite!
As part of our rewrite, we are moving to a microservices architecture, entirely decoupled from the newly-designed front-end and more integrated with the Banner Student Information System. But what does this mean? And what does it mean for the end-user?
Let’s list some advantages:
- A new modern application interface that more directly meets end-user needs
- Interfaces that update instantly when colleagues make changes in collaborative environments
- Interfaces that can respond instantly to changes made in the Student Information System
- Direct inline document editing inside Guru both for individuals and document collaboration
- Support for an increased range of categories of assessment components each with their own document flow controls
- Faster response times for pages and activities
- Improved user management through the use of improved roles, role groups and secondary units
- Improved interfacing with data in the student information system (e.g. via Ethos in Banner v9+)
- More customisation in flow control on various processes
Bear with us!
This is all going to take some time! But it’s on the way and we’re really looking forward to showcasing the developments. We will provide some updates here over the coming months. If there is anything you’d like us to focus on, then please let us know!